I know that you are all thinking chocolate for Valentines day, but think again and try this recipe for Empress Rice. A little complicated but well worth it said my vegan friend who had two helpings.
1.25 cups white rice
1 cup water
2.5 cups light cream or half and half or 3.5 cups whole milk
1.5 tsp vanilla extract, or .5 vanilla bean, split
.5 tsp salt
2 envelopes unflavored gelatin
.5 cup cold water
.75 cup fine quick dissolving granulated sugar
2 Tbl Brandy, Cognac or Ginger Liquor which is what I used the last time that I made this. The original recipe calls for Maraschino liquor which I did not have.
3 cups heavy cream, whipped
2 cups mixed candied fruits, such as citron, orange or lemon peel, candied cherries, soaked in the liquor or brandy and then drained.
Strawberries or raspberries for garnish
1 pint whipping cream for garnish
- Wash rice well and drain thoroughly in a strainer. Place in a large saucepan along with water and cream or milk, vanilla bean, and salt. If you are using vanilla do not add at this time.
- Simmer, covered, over low heat, stirring every few minutes. Cook until tender but not overdone, about 15 – 20 minutes for converted rice.
- If using vanilla extract stir it in now. If using the bean remove it from the cooked rice and scrape seeds into the mixture.
- Let rice cool to lukewarm. Do not drain. Turn into a large bowl
- Soak gelatin in cold water for 5 minutes, or until soft. Set over hot water in a double boiler until completely dissolved, stirring frequently.
- Stir gelatin into lukewarm rice mix, along with sugar, and brandy of your choice.I used the liquor from the drained fruit. Chill about 15 minutes, or until mixture thickens but does not set.
- Beat 3 cups heavy cream until stiff and place on top of the rice mixture. Sprinkle with drained candied fruit and fold all in together using a rubber spatula.
- Rinse an eight or ten inch cup ring mold or fluted bombe, do not wipe dry, and fill with the rice mixture. Chill overnight in the frig.
- To unmold, wrap the outside of the mold with a cloth wrung out of hot water. May need several applications to come out. Turn onto a decorative plate.
- Whip whipping cream and pipe onto rice mold. Decorate with fruit. If the rice unfolds perfectly just pipe the top with whipped cream. As mine did not, I also piped whipped cream in to the center and covered with fruit.
Serves 16 – 20