If you like scones, you’ll love these seasonal blueberry scones even more…
1.5 cups of all purpose flour.
.5 cup corn meal, organic stone ground
1/4 or 1/3 cup of granulated sugar, depending on the sweetness that you prefer
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 stick butter, cold
grated rind from one orange
1 whole egg
1 egg yolk, save the white
.5 cup of buttermilk
1 cup of blueberries
1 egg white beaten
2 tsp sugar for topping
Combine the flours, sugar, baking powder and soda, salt and orange rind.
Cut in the butter until it resembles a fine mix.
Stir in the blueberries.
Mix egg, yolk and buttermilk and add all at once to the dry mixture. Stir until just moist.
Turn out on to a lightly greased surface and knead gently until it comes together. You might need to add another tbsp. of buttermilk.
Pat into a 9 inch circle about .5 inch thick. Transfer to a buttered cookie sheet. Score into 8 or 10 pieces.
Brush with beaten egg white and sprinkle with the 2 tsp of sugar.
Bake in the center rack of the oven at 425 for 20 minutes or until golden and a cake tester comes out clean. Let sit a few minutes before cutting through.
Topics: Recipes |
This delicious fish dish is quick and easy to prepare. Panko crumbs give it nice crunch, and the cherry tomatoes add a sweet/sour note that complements the cod.
1 lb of cod, thick cut end
1/4 cup of panko crumbs
salt and pepper
2 – 3 tbs. butter
2-3 tbs. oil, olive or vegetable
1 medium onion, sliced and large dice
1 box of mixed cherry tomatoes, cut in half
1 sprig of fresh thyme or rosemary
Heat oven to 375.
Sprinkle Cod with salt and pepper and panko crumbs.
Melt 2 tbl.butter and 2 tbl. oil in an oven proof frying pan.
Sear cod on both sides and remove to a plate.
Saute the onion in the same pan, you may need to add the extra oil and butter at this time.
Cook 2 minutes or until starting to brown slightly. Add the cherry tomatoes and cook until they start to loose their juice. Make room in the middle of the pan and return the cod to the pan. Spoon some of the sauce over the fish. Sprinkle with the sprig of fresh herbs.
Bake for 20 minutes.
Can be served over rice, lentils or couscous with a light green salad.
Serves 2 or 3
Topics: Recipes | Tags: fish
This recipe will give you a very moist and delicious roasted chicken.
1 red onion
.5 cup chopped flat leaf parsley
2 T. fish chopped rosemary
2 T. chopped fresh mint
1T. chopped Fresh Sage
2 tsp kosher salt
.5 tsp black pepper
Grated Zest of 1 lemon
.25 cup of olive oil
2 each 3 lb chickens
You may mix the herbs to your liking. Use basil, thyme, marjoram, oregano instead of what I have listed.
Combine all ingredients except olive oil and chicken a food process and pulse to chop.While machine is running add olive oil in a steady stream. Process until smooth. Put chicken in a large glass or ceramic bowl. Spread the mixture over the chicken. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate 8 hours or overnight.
Discard excess paste. Preheat oven to 450. Bake for one hour or until juices run clear.
If you put the mixture under the skin, salt the birds with kosher salt before baking.
Should make 8 portions, 1/4 bird per person.
Or slice and serve for more servings.
Topics: Recipes | Tags: chicken
I know that you are all thinking chocolate for Valentines day, but think again and try this recipe for Empress Rice. A little complicated but well worth it said my vegan friend who had two helpings.
1.25 cups white rice
1 cup water
2.5 cups light cream or half and half or 3.5 cups whole milk
1.5 tsp vanilla extract, or .5 vanilla bean, split
.5 tsp salt
2 envelopes unflavored gelatin
.5 cup cold water
.75 cup fine quick dissolving granulated sugar
2 Tbl Brandy, Cognac or Ginger Liquor which is what I used the last time that I made this. The original recipe calls for Maraschino liquor which I did not have.
3 cups heavy cream, whipped
2 cups mixed candied fruits, such as citron, orange or lemon peel, candied cherries, soaked in the liquor or brandy and then drained.
Strawberries or raspberries for garnish
1 pint whipping cream for garnish
- Wash rice well and drain thoroughly in a strainer. Place in a large saucepan along with water and cream or milk, vanilla bean, and salt. If you are using vanilla do not add at this time.
- Simmer, covered, over low heat, stirring every few minutes. Cook until tender but not overdone, about 15 – 20 minutes for converted rice.
- If using vanilla extract stir it in now. If using the bean remove it from the cooked rice and scrape seeds into the mixture.
- Let rice cool to lukewarm. Do not drain. Turn into a large bowl
- Soak gelatin in cold water for 5 minutes, or until soft. Set over hot water in a double boiler until completely dissolved, stirring frequently.
- Stir gelatin into lukewarm rice mix, along with sugar, and brandy of your choice.I used the liquor from the drained fruit. Chill about 15 minutes, or until mixture thickens but does not set.
- Beat 3 cups heavy cream until stiff and place on top of the rice mixture. Sprinkle with drained candied fruit and fold all in together using a rubber spatula.
- Rinse an eight or ten inch cup ring mold or fluted bombe, do not wipe dry, and fill with the rice mixture. Chill overnight in the frig.
- To unmold, wrap the outside of the mold with a cloth wrung out of hot water. May need several applications to come out. Turn onto a decorative plate.
- Whip whipping cream and pipe onto rice mold. Decorate with fruit. If the rice unfolds perfectly just pipe the top with whipped cream. As mine did not, I also piped whipped cream in to the center and covered with fruit.
Serves 16 – 20
Topics: Recipes | Tags: dessert
I came up with this recipe on Christmas day as I was having a group over for Turkey and Latkes. The holidays did collide this year, 2016. It is light and refreshing and a good foil to the latkes and all the other rich food that we eat at this time of the year. Note that it should be made the day that you are serving it as it wilts and looses its brightness by day two.
3 Persian cucumbers, sliced very thin ( the small seedless ones in the supermarket )
.5 bunch of red radishes, thinly sliced
2 Watermelon Radishes, thinly sliced
1 avocado, cubed
3 scallions chopped
half a bunch of Italian Parsley minced. About 1/4 cup
juice of 1.5 limes
juice of half a lemon
1 T. White Balsamic vinegar
.25 cup of olive oil or more as to taste
salt and pepper to taste
Cut all of the vegetables as listed and toss with dressing ingredients. Serve the same day.
Serves 10 with other food on the menu.
Topics: Recipes | Tags: salad